Markeeta Young (aka KeetaRay) – Maryland/DMV
- What is your passion in life? To help other women feel beautiful inside and out and know their worth. Showing women how powerful we are and how much we have to give is what drives me.
- What is your current job? I am a Software Test Engineer for a large computer company. That is my “9 to 5”.
- Do you own your own business? If so, what is the name and the mission? I have 2 businesses that I want to eventually make full-time. One is my Life Coaching business and the other is Freelance Makeup Artistry and Skincare. I am currently in school to get my Esthetics license. My freelance Makeup Artistry business is “Faces by KeetaRay”.
- Did you have any fears when first starting your business? Definitely. Although most people are afraid of failing, I was afraid of succeeding. Sounds strange, but to me succeeding meant that I’d have a huge responsibility and I wondered if I could handle it all.
- Did you have any insecurities when first starting your own business? Yes. I was afraid that people wouldn’t take me seriously. I wasn’t sure if I was good enough. But one day I realized that everyone has to start somewhere and this is what I LOVE. So why not just do it and continue to get better and better? I decided to no longer live my life in fear.
- Describe your brand in one word. Inspiring
- Do you have any past failures that you can tell what you did to learn from them? The first thing that comes to mind is not taking myself seriously and not knowing my worth as a person and as a woman. I always had the desire and passion for skincare, makeup, and for helping other women by sharing my own life experiences and what I’ve learned, but I wasn’t sure how to get started. When I changed my inner circle, I started noticing positive changes in my life. You must truly understand that who you hang around and talk to on a daily basis affects your mindset and what you do. Surrounding yourself with positive people who share similar interests and are successful will in turn make you successful. Another thing I have learned is that we are ALL afraid of something. Even the most successful people are afraid. But what differentiates successful people from unsuccessful people is that successful people work THROUGH their fears while unsuccessful people allow their fears to stop them. On the other side of fear is your blessing. Keep pushing!
- Who are your target consumers? Would you want to change this? My target consumers are women of all ages, all races, all walks of life. We all need mentors to give us the push we need and teach us things we don’t know. And we all, as women, like to feel beautiful on the outside as well as inside. By teaching proper skincare techniques and proper makeup application, along with providing support with my Life Coaching business, I plan to do just that. I want to have women looking and feeling their absolute best.
- What inspires you? Art, creativity, music
- Who inspires you? God, first and foremost. Then my friends and family. I am truly blessed to have some wonderful people in my life who support me and want the best for me.
- What is always at the back of your mind? To never quit on my dreams, no matter how hard it may seem or what things look like.
- What do you want to change about your job or career right now? Ultimately, I want to “retire” from the technical world and work as an Esthetician, Makeup Artist, and Life Coach.
- What advice do you have for others? Take steps each and every day toward your dreams. Set goals for a 3-month, 6-month, 1-year, 5-year and 10-year period. Post them someplace where you will always see them. Re-evaluate them and cross things off your list as you reach those goals. The key is to get them out of your head and into the universe. Write it down so you are always conscious. Secondly, NEVER give up. There will be naysayers, people will tell you what you should and shouldn’t do. Everyone has an opinion on your life. But ask yourself who you are seeking advice from. Have they done it before? Are they successful? If not, keep it moving.
- How do you motivate yourself? My relationship with God and going to church helps a lot. Everyone there is so positive and encouraging. Also, having positive friends and mentors helps. I read a lot of inspirational things like my morning devotionals from Joel Osteen. And I pray a lot, too.
- Did you have any obstacles that you overcame to get to where you are now? Of course. My obstacles were more internal than external. I used to be VERY negative. I didn’t even realize it at the time but I was blessed with friends who cared enough about me to point it out in a loving way. My mindset was terrible. I was very insecure and lacked confidence in myself. Once I started working on myself and developing a healthy, positive mindset, my life changed beyond belief.
- Where can we find you on the web? I’m all over the web! Lol Twitter: @1KeetaRay; Tumblr: keetaray.tumblr.com; My Blog: www.allthingskeetaray.com; MUA Site (still in progress): www.facesbykeetaray.com
4 Replies to “Meet Markeeta Young”
I was inspired while reading your interview. Ms. Young, I can relate to being VERY negative. I realized that for myself last year. I have to stay around positive associations, keep praying and reading personal development books. Associations can make us or break us. Also when you mentioned your fear of success, oh boy that is so me!! I realize it and working through it as we speak. I would start things but then become my own enemy and sabatoge any progress toward sucess and felt like a failure because I was upset that I was not further along. I believe having a fear of success contributes to negative thoughts which contributes to a fear of success and the cycle goes on and on. Its not until you break it, like you mentioned in your interview, that your life changes dramatically. One last thing, you mentioned fear holding you back. Man we have so much in common! Fear, negative thoughts and fear of success are in the same family and we have to be adopted into a new family: He has not given us the spirit of fear but of love, power and a sound mind. These 3 replaces the other 3! God bless you, your family/friends and business! Can’t wait to see you on tv working with all kinds of people, from the poor to the rich.
Awesome interview!! Blessings to you both! 🙂
Thank You Makeeba!! I want to interview you as well… I am loving all of this awsomesauce coming from interviewing others!
Thanks, everyone!!! These fears are so common in so many of us. Recognizing it is only the beginning, but the most important step of all. We can’t fix what we don’t see. Thanks so much for taking the time to read my story 🙂